Letter to my African Sisters, “Technology and the Heart… Women's Health”


I have been following Nancy’s and WOUGNET’s Uganda blogs for some time now, often stopping my work for a prayer and tears. It is a great honor to write in this Arise magazine of innovation and style. My mother, now 94, was a tough feminist before her time, raising three boys while my father was on the road. She taught full time while getting her Master's in Education at Columbia University in New York City. I still have memories of her on her bed, sandwich in hand, with books and papers long after the nightly chores were done. Later, when raising my own daughter, Maya, I would drop her off at elementary school each morning telling her “Get straight A’s, go to a good school and change the world.” In my family, learning is everything. Today, Maya is a special needs teacher in Brooklyn, NY. This being said, I ponder what a visionary strategist in learning technology could offer to my sisters in Africa. My life has been filled with riots in Kenya’s Rift Valley, the oppression of multinational factories, and the tears of beaten homeless women in the U.S. along  with a Brooklyn church with races from all over the world. I cannot write another dry white paper, so here is a letter from an old father to his daughters about the gift of the global power you have yet to fully realize.


Dear Daughters,

I am writing to you about the health of your hearts and the power you have been given as women. I know life can be a long, hard road of oppression, bad deals and injustice. It is easy to harden your hearts. Have faith, your road is coming to an end. You have been given evolutionary gifts that you are just beginning to understand and leverage. I am writing you to tell you that we see you standing proud and transforming the world, but you can do so much more, so much faster. This generation has been blessed with a unity and strength that transcends the globe, but you must accept the gift technology brings, lock arms and use it. This magazine is just a taste of what could be a truly wondrous world for your children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can NGOs launch "Massive, Self-Sustainable Collaborative Learning" Programs?

Why Through a Kid Out of a Classroom